The Charity Commission register and regulate charities in England and Wales, their job is to ensure that the public can support charities with confidence. Responsible for registering eligible organisations for only charitable purposes, they ensure charities meet their legal requirements and provide services and guidance to help charities run effectively.
The introduction of Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) status on 1 April 2011 required the co-ordinated introduction of a series of changes and enhancements to all systems used by the Commission. The systems included:
- Register+ (back office system and background processes)
- CRM (customer relationship management back office system)
- OLAR and RAS (online registration internet applications)
- AR and View Amend (online annual returns internet applications)
- ShowCharity (online access to the Charity Register internet application)